Internet Privacy May Be Hard to Find in 2025, Many Experts Say

With increased government surveillance, the iCloud and the Sony hacking scandals and hacktivist groups on the rise, Internet security and privacy may be a thing of the past.

According to a Pew Research Center report released Dec. 18, 2,511 experts are on opposite sides of the issue on whether privacy is a feasible thing to achieve by the year 2025.

“This report is a look into the future of privacy in light of the technological changes, ever-growing monetization of digital encounters and shifting relationship of citizens and their governments that is likely to extend through the next decade,” according to researchers and writers Lee Raine and Janna Anderson of

The report looked at a range of criteria and asked questions involving the issue.

Pew asked experts to think about “if policy makers and technology innovators could create a secure, popularly accepted, and trusted privacy-rights infrastructure by 2025 that allows for business innovation and monetization…”

The political issues around privacy on the Internet may create unwanted gridlock for an issue that needs fixing immediately.

“I do not think 10 years is long enough for policy makers to change the way they make policy to keep up with the rate of technological progress. We have never had ubiquitous surveillance before, much less a form of ubiquitous surveillance that emerges primarily from voluntary (if market-obscured) choices. Predicting how it shakes out is just fantasy,” wrote John Wilbanks, chief commons officer for Sage Bionetworks. 

Out of the experts polled, 55 percent believed that privacy was unable to be a reality in today’s technological landscape. The remaining 45 percent seem to be more optimistic about it. All of the experts believed that the Internet is inherently public entity. 

This issue will continue to be debated for the next decade and beyond as long as the Internet remains a vital part of modern life.